Saturday 9 May 2009

GEORGE WHITFIELD

Cool thoughts:
I was at a conference today with my good friend Enzo, he briefly mentioned about George Whitfield preaching to crowds of 20000+ in 1740’s - 1770’s.
I thought I‘d do a little research and found he preached to 20,000+ potentially 30,000 in 1742. amazing cuz i don’t reckon they had P.A in them days. I thought that was so amazing!
I found this as well:
Benjamin Franklin once attended a revival meeting in Philadelphia and was greatly impressed with Whitefield's ability to deliver a message to such a large audience. Franklin had dismissed reports of Whitefield preaching to crowds of the order of tens of thousands in England as exaggeration. When listening to Whitefield preaching from the Philadelphia court house, Franklin walked away towards his shop in Market Street until he could no longer hear Whitefield distinctly. He then estimated his distance from Whitefield and calculated the area of a semi-circle centred on Whitefield. Allowing two square feet per person he realized that Whitefield really could be heard by tens of thousands of people in the open air.

No comments:

Post a Comment